With over 180,000 people employed in mining in Australia, and a whopping 1.18 million construction workers employed in 2022, standing out among the crowd is easier said than done. The saturation of the job market makes it all the more important to consider what makes up your unique professional identity, and how you express that – or otherwise known as your ‘personal brand’.
In this blog, we explore what personal branding is as well as why it’s essential for professionals in the mining, oil & gas and construction industries, providing five compelling reasons you should consider working on your personal brand.
What is a ‘Personal Brand’?
Just like a corporate brand represents a company’s image and values, a personal brand represents your individual image and professional identity. This is made up by your unique combination of qualities, skills, experiences. We all have a personal brand, and the concept applies beyond CEOs and executives. However, the extent to which our personal brands can serve us is defined by how we choose to develop and present them.
A personal brand is made up of several elements you might like to consider, some of which include:
- Your expertise: Your personal brand should highlight your areas of expertise and specialisation, communicating the skills, knowledge and experience that set you apart from others in the field.
- Professional reputation: Your professional reputation and how you are perceived by colleagues, employers, and other industry professionals is intrinsically linked with your personal brand. This encompasses your qualities, such as trustworthiness, reliability, and competence, which can be established through your work, achievements, and testimonials.
- Values & principles: Your personal brand should align with your core values and principles. It communicates your beliefs, ethics, and approach to work, which can attract like-minded individuals and organizations that resonate with your values.
- Online presence: Your personal brand extends into your online presence (yes, this includes anything embarrassing that’s public of you), including your website, social media profiles, and professional networking platforms. Consistent and strategic management of your online persona helps shape how others perceive you and provides an opportunity to showcase your expertise and achievements.
- Personal story: Your personal story and journey are often included in your personal brand. It includes your professional milestones, challenges you’ve overcome, and experiences that have shaped your career. Sharing your story can create a deeper connection with others and make you relatable to potential employers and clients.
Why Work on Your Personal Brand?
So, knowing what makes up your personal brand, what are the benefits of honing it? Here are 5 reasons.
Given the highly competitive nature of the oil, gas, mining, and construction sectors, developing a personal brand is one of the best ways to help you stand out to potential employers.
With a strong personal brand, they will recognise you as a distinct individual with a valuable set of qualifications and your own unique motivations. By effectively communicating your brand, you can stand out among the crowd, increasing your chances of securing your ideal job.
Build Trust & Credibility
Building a strong personal brand can significantly enhance your professional reputation in industries where safety, reliability, and trustworthiness are paramount. Investing time and effort into your personal branding shows your commitment to your field and dedication to delivering high-quality work. In fact, you’ve already been working towards creating your personal brand each day on the job you show yourself to be responsible and trustworthy.
However, if you’d like to venture beyond this, showcasing your expertise, sharing valuable insights, and engaging in relevant industry discussions can establish you as a trusted authority in your field. This can range from speaking at construction conferences to presenting within your workplace/team – or even posting content online relating to your field! This will mean potential employers perceive you as someone with credibility and expertise, leading to increased opportunities and career growth.
Expand Your Network
Personal branding goes hand in hand with networking. Connecting with like-minded professionals, industry leaders, and potential employers is integral to the process of building your personal brand and can occur through active participation in industry events and conferences and other online communities.
As your network expands, your chances of discovering job openings, collaborating on exciting projects, and gaining valuable insights from other experts increases.
Enhance Career Flexibility
Working on your personal brand not only improves your chances of finding new job opportunities, but (when done right) it also enhances your career flexibility. As industries evolve and job market demands change, a commitment to consistently developing your personal brand and adapting to changes in your industry shows employers that you’re willing to learn and embrace change.
In fact, this adaptability should be part of your personal brand, and it plays a key role in making you a desirable candidate for many job openings.
A strong personal brand means you strongly influence your peers and network. This can even potentially expand to your whole local industry or sector! You position yourself as a thought leader by consistently sharing valuable content, insights, and thought-provoking ideas. This can attract attention from employers, industry peers, and media, enhancing your professional standing and opening doors to speaking engagements or media opportunities.
Of course, not everyone will be interested in becoming an industry leader – and that’s okay. Yet this still applies on an even smaller scale, and establishing your personal brand among your colleagues will also lead to increased influence.
Your Next Steps
That covers five of the best reasons you should consider working on your personal brand, from standing out among the crowd to establishing yourself as a trusted source of information in your field.
As a specialist oil and gas recruitment agency in Australia, we are connected to various organisations and professionals with strong personal and corporate brands! If you’re looking for a job in oil & gas, construction, mining or any related fields, or would like assistance developing your brand, please don’t hesitate to contact us.